Sunday, April 14, 2013

Эта сумка в подарок от меня к вам, Таня.



Some years ago I had my hip joint replaced by an artificial implant (yes, on the same side as my recent ankle replacement). That surgery required a long time of bed rest. To keep myself occupied, optimistic and away from self pity I would embroider small pieces of cotton fabric with very simple motives and lovely colors. I drew them with a pencil directly on the material and started stitching. I do not know a lot of embroidery stitches, just some basic ones, and that craft was never my genre, although I do admire it greatly. I had nothing special in mind with those flower patches, I just did them for some fun.

After bringing my workroom in order and reorganizing it a bit some months ago, many forgotten things resurfaced, among them those embroidered fabric pieces. I found them actually quite pretty and incorporated them in two totes during the last week.


My husband hikes about every two months with the ISRAEL PLANT INFORMATION CENTER - ROTEM, which is responsible for the documentation, research and education of the wild flowers of Israel, it is a joint project with the Jerusalem University. He befriended a woman from Ukraine in his group on account that he speaks quite good German, and she studied German at University in her home town and loves the language. So on their outings they sit together in the bus and talk in German, among all the Hebrew around them. This bag is a gift from me to her and at their upcoming excursion next Thursday my husband will present it to her - she is a real flower lover and I am sure she will like this tote. 


This is the other one, the oval patch embroidered with running stitches and a lot of French knots. Both totes are made with strong and durable cotton fabrics, not the lightweight kind. They are fully lined, and equipped with three pockets, one of them zippered.


8 comments:

Bob Bushell said...

They are beautiful, and how things turn out, superb.

Annuk said...

Oh Yael, these totes are SO beautiful!!! And those embroidered pieces incorporated into the bags are such a clever idea, and so meaningful too! I love your positive attitude and your love for life which is evident even in the hardest moments. And I love the way you photograph your pieces among the flowers you love so much...
That lady is going to love her bag!!!
Hugs from Rhodes! :)

zsazsazsu said...

even with simple stitches you can make something quite outstanding!

Clare said...

I'm sure she is going to love it. Isn't is great that when you are a creative soul - there is always something special our homes to share with special people that come into our lives.

Dies und Das vom Neckarstrand said...

Liebe Yael,
wunderschöne Werke - und wieder ein toller Text. Schön bei dir zu lesen.
Einen schönen Sonntagabend wünscht
Irmi

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

They are so delicate and beautiful. That woman is going to be overwhelmed with joy and surprise at your kind gesture! Yael, you are a dear!

Hilde said...

Your flower embroidiery are so beautiful, and what a great idea to incomporate them into those bags!! Yael, you are so clever. The bags are gorgeous, and I'm sure the woman will love hers :)

stardust said...

The woman from Ukraine must have be overjoyed with this lovely bag. I love the nature-colored tote with floral embroidery. So, Uri can speak Hebrew, German, and Japanese? Wow, trilingual.

Yoko