Tuesday, June 4, 2019

ANOTHER SMALL BORO



This one is a tiny bit more sophisticated and shows some influence from American artist Jude Hill.


The Japanese method of boro is very meditative and requires slow stitching. You can not rush with it, your soul is very much taking part in it, and you work intuitive. You don't strive for perfection, you don't plan too much, you just stitch and choose pieces and patches and remnants of fabric, and match here and there, and then change again, slowly and joyfully, maybe stitching a story, or a little statement, or just a colorful lovely piece, that you can make into a small bag, or a book cover, or a petite wall hanging, or into nothing at all but to admire just so. If your fabric is old and tattered and frayed, even better so, it will add grace and meaning. And if you can mix cotton and silk and hemp and wool and linen, wow!






 

Give it a try! :-)

3 comments:

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

I really love this one, Yael. I am going to go into my studio and start stitching! You have infected my spirit with some wonderful new virus. :-)

Tammie Lee said...

Your piece is beautiful and earthy, with a feeling of home.
I love all those natural fibers/fabrics. I would enjoy doing something like this, very much. I understand the meditative quality to stitching.
May you find cool breezes amongst your hot days.

stardust said...

I learned for the first time that the Japanese word “boro” meaning a piece of old cloth or torn cloth became a universal word. I remember learning some stitches at the home-science class of the school to patch the torn part of the clothes. I like to see your imaginative quality in this piece of art.

Yoko