Tuesday, June 4, 2019

The elephants and the upside down woman



Boro Boro is the ancient Japanese "art" of fixing tattered and worn clothing. 
The word boro literally means "tattered". The fabric would be mended and patched with small visible stitches, again and again, reinforcing the garment. A kind of modern art form developed from it, resembling pieces of patchwork that entered the modern fashion world. Neither in the ancient traditional objects, nor in today's modern versions was and is perfect execution required. The stitching of the functional embroidery should lead to a sense of simple beauty. The Japanese people with their great talent for aesthetic and their Wabi Sabi view always achieve this, even with the acceptance of imperfection.
Some time ago I attended a boro workshop with Laura Miryam in her lovely home in Moshav Aviel, north of Hadera.


 https://www.lauramiryam.com/

For me, always striving to be perfect in my work, it was not easy to loosen up and just let go... But - I somehow managed and I must say I did enjoy the process. This is my first very humble and humorous attempt at a boro stitched piece - and with Laura's gentle guidance I think it came out rather nicely.

I called it: "The elephants and the upside down woman" - I know, it's kind of funny! :-) And as you can see, the pomegranates were just blooming.



I started another piece, I will show it in my next post.

4 comments:

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

You did a great job, Yael! I love the hanging pomegranate, and it looks like it's raining over the elephants. :-)

Bob Bushell said...

Pretty hanging bag Yael.

Inger said...

I didn't know anything about this, but it makes sense coming from Japanese culture. We all need to let go sometimes of our perfectionism. The result is just great.

stardust said...

So nice to learn that the old Japanese mending method of tattered cloth was heightened to a new type of modern art. It’s like a patch work with wabi-sabi twist. Have happy days ahead, Yael.

Yoko